Wednesday, January 21, 2009




This is my old gelding that I was talking about in my last blog. I bought him back in 1992 after we had to put my horse I had since I was 13 years old to sleep. I saw an ad in the Buy 'N Sell newspaper for a 'big Thoroughbred gelding' and went to look at him and fell in love. His registered name is 'Get Together' but the girl I bought him from had been calling him 'Suede' and it fit him so that's what we've always called him. The second picture is what he looked like when I first got him and the first one is what a few months and some groceries can do. I don't ride him anymore - he'll be 27 years old this summer, but he still knows his tricks. Once he had a stone bruise and I wasn't able to ride him for a while and during that time I discovered that he'll do anything for baby carrots. He knows how to give kisses and hugs and shake hands! For anyone who knows about Thoroughbred racehorses - he's a great-grandson of Bold Ruler. His sire was Whatsyourpleasure - grandsire was What's Your Pleasure. His 'uncle' was Foolish Pleasure who won the Kentucky Derby in the 70's. Suede was never raced because he bowed a tendon in training. The end of June it will be 17 years that I've had him. I can't imagine not having him in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment